Saturday, July 10, 2010

Blue Ruffle Top

Summer has arrived! And so has my urge to buy new, cute summery tops! Even though I have far more articles of clothing than I need, I haven't liked anything that I have put on in the past few days! Thanks to my lactating bosom, many of my tank tops that have laid dormant the last couple of years (I was pregnant last summer, so wasn't wearing them then, either) don't fit me quite the way I would like, and my other tops just seem "blah" to me. So, I decided it was time to make some new clothes out of some old clothes - can't get much thriftier than that, huh?

I spotted this "refashion" over on Adventures in Dressmaking back in June, and I happened to have the same exact shirt (in a different color) that she used, which I also never wore. I put it in the back of my head to do at some point - today is the day!

I didn't want mine quite as busy as hers - just something simple that can be dressed up if I want or just wear it to play in. It probably took me about an hour (this was mostly spent ripping out the seams of the sleeves) to put together - so while baby napped, I got a new blouse made for the day!

I didn't take a before pic, but here is the one from Suzannah's blog (in a different color than my shirt):


And here is my After:



What do you think? I think it would look cute paired with a black coat or cropped cardigan. Putting ruffles on a knit top is one of the EASIEST re-do's! Great start if you are thinking about refashioning a shirt of your own, but don't want anything too challenging! There are lots of great tutorials out there on how to make ruffles - Tea Rose Home is one of the best that I have found, she has some very pretty and ruffly shirt tutorials as well.

Thanks for reading - hope you might be inspired! Time to go enjoy the sun and some iced tea!



2 comments:

Candice said...

I'm so excited to have found your blog, it'll definately inspire me!

Adventures in Dressmaking said...

That's so funny you had the exact same shirt! Great refashion!!!